Stuck tongues | Living the Country Life

Stuck tongues

January 9, 2013

WARNING: Graphic image below.

An NBC report this morning talked about kids getting their tongues stuck inside popular metal water bottles. The narrow neck and brass ridges on the bottle create a suction and act like a noose, trapping the tongue. The tongue swells up and can die, or it can block the airway and suffocate the child. See the story here.

Many human health stories remind Bob of similar cases in his veterinary practice, and this was no different. He immediate thought of a hunting dog he saw last month with a swollen tongue.

On close examination, Bob saw that a tendon of some kind was wrapped around the base of the tongue. It turned out to be the trachea of a deer. The owner had fed the dog raw venison after a hunt and the dog had gotten his tongue stuck inside the deer trachea. It acted as a noose and caused the tongue to swell.

There is no happy ending to this story. After removal of the deer trachea, the tongue remained swollen. Quality of life became an issue, and the owner and Bob made the difficult decision to put the dog down.

The owner agreed to publish the story and photo as a way to warn other hunters and dog owners about the dangers of feeding raw venison to pets.

Comments (1)

ycochran2 wrote:
Horrible looking but thank you for sharing. We don't feed our dog venison directly, but during hunting season, she'll try to take scraps when she can. Again, thank you for posting this.

Add Your Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login

Latest Blogs

Betsy's Backyard |
4/21/14 | 11:09 AM
At midnight last night, as Bob was doing c-section surgery on the fourth ewe this month...read more
Betsy's Backyard |
4/18/14 | 1:48 PM
We captured some nice video last night, mainly by chance. David Ekstrom, a video producer...read more

You might like...