Fingerling Potato Salad with Honey-Thyme Vinaigrette
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 9 minutes
Stand: 5 minutes
Chill: 2 to 24 hours
1 1/2 pounds white or yellow fingerling potatoes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 ounces fresh haricots verts or tender young green beans
3 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 medium shallot, halved
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 pound bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces)
1. Scrub the potatoes. In a large saucepan, cook potatoes and the 1 teaspoon kosher salt, covered, in enough boiling water to cover for 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender; drain well. Spread out in a single layer in a shallow baking pan to cool. When cool enough to handle, halve potatoes lengthwise. Set aside.
2. Wash haricots verts; trim and (if you like) halve crosswise. In a medium saucepan, bring the 3 cups water to boiling. Add haricots verts. Return to boiling. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes or until just crisp-tender. Immediately remove haricots verts from boiling water with a slotted spoon; plunge into a large bowl half-filled with ice water. Let stand 5 minutes; drain well. Set aside.
3. For vinaigrette: In a food processor or blender, combine vinegar, shallot, honey, thyme, mustard, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and the pepper. Cover and process or blend until combined. With processor or blender running, slowly add oil in a steady stream until mixture is thickened.
4. In a large salad bowl, combine potatoes, haricots verts and red onion. Drizzle with enough of the vinaigrette to thoroughly coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
5. Just before serving, toss salad with bacon and top with feta cheese. Serve with remaining dressing or reserve dressing for another use. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
* Tip: You will have more dressing than you need, but that's okay. It will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator and makes a great dressing for another potato salad or pasta salad, or even on a regular green tossed salad.
Number of Servings: 8 to 10
Nutrition Facts per: 324 cal., 22 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 24 mg chol., 753 mg sodium, 23 g carb., 3 g dietary fiber, 9 g protein.
Daily Values: 6 % vit. A, 38 % vit. C, 7 % calcium, 8 % iron.
Add Your Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login