Lemon poppy seed snack cake
Number of Servings: 10
Prep: 25 min
Cool: 10 min
Bake: 30 min at 350°
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend equivalent to 2/3 cup
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup lemon low-fat yogurt
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
2 egg whites
Lemon Glaze (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a small bowl stir together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine granulated sugar, egg yolks, and oil; beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes. Add yogurt and lemon peel. Beat until combined. Add flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
3. Thoroughly wash beaters. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir one-third of the stiffly beaten egg whites into batter to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites. Spread in prepared pan.
4. Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Use tines of a fork to pierce cake. Slowly drizzle Lemon Glaze over cake. Cool completely. Invert to remove from pan; turn cake top side up.
Lemon Glaze: In a small saucepan, heat 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 2 Tbsp butter over medium-low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 167 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 42 mg chol., 27 g carb., 115 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 16 g sugar, 3 g pro.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 142 cal., 18 g carb., 8 g sugar
Add Your Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login