Mixed berry crisp
Number of Servings: 4
Prep: 25 min | Stand: 15 min
Grill: 35 min | Cool: 30 min
3 cups mixed fresh berries (such as blueberries, blackberries, and/or raspberries)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup crushed amaretti cookies
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon butter, softened
Vanilla ice cream
1. In a large bowl combine berries, granulated sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, and ginger. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. For the topping, in a medium bowl combine crushed amaretti, flour, almonds, and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Generously butter an 8- to 9-inch cast-iron skillet or two individual 10- to 12-ounce cast-iron skillets or casseroles (such as 5-inch skillets or 4 1/2x3-inch casseroles) with the 1 tablespoon softened butter. Fill skillet(s) with berry mixture. Sprinkle with the topping.
4. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around the edges of the grill, leaving center of grill with no coals. Test for medium heat above the center of the grill. Place skillet(s) in center of grill rack (not over the coals). Cover and grill until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Allow about 35 minutes for large skillet or about 20 minutes for small skillets. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place skillet(s) on unheated side of grill. Grill as above.)
5. Remove from grill; let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts: 544 cal., 25 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 70 mg chol., 75 g carb., 169 mg sodium, 5 g fiber, 49 g sugar, 6 g pro.
Add Your Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login