Short Ribs with Polenta
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: Low 9 hours or High 4 1/2 hours
4- to 5-pounds beef short ribs (with bone)
Salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cooking oil
4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups frozen pearl onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup lower-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
Snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1. Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven brown short ribs, half at a time, in hot oil.
2. In a 6-quart slow cooker, place the carrots, onions, and garlic. Top with beef.
3. In a medium bowl stir together the undrained tomatoes, broth, wine, 1/4 cup parsley, cornstarch, tomato paste, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour over beef. Add bay leaf.
4. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf; discard. Skim off any excess fat.
5. Spoon Cheesy Polenta into shallow bowls. Serve beef ribs and vegetable mixture over polenta. Garnish with additional parsley. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
481 calories, 15 (g) total fat (6 (g) saturated fat), 75 (mg) cholesterol, 695 (mg) sodium, 51 (g) carbohydrates, 7 (g) dietary fiber, 32 (g) protein.
130% vitamin A, 26% vitamin C, 16% calcium, 23% iron.
Cheesy Polenta: In a large saucepan combine 3 3/4 cups water, 1 cup quick-cooking polenta or cornmeal, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until mixture comes to boiling. Add 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese; cook, uncovered, over low heat about 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Makes about 4 cups.
Add Your Comment
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login